NOH8

It doesn't seems to matter where you are in this country, almost everyone knows about California's anti gay marriage bill, Proposition 8, which passed November 2008. Of course, this is not the last we will hear of this. Especially, since eighteen thousand gay couples were able to get married in the four month window following the California Supreme Court's ruling, and since the election that availability is no more. Michael and I (and seventeen thousand-nine-hundred-ninety-nine couples) are married but Glenda and Gertrude in Fresno are now legally forbidden to do so. Where's the logic in that?

My argument on this subject hasn't changed: What about my children? The far right have often pulled out the chestnut, "what about the children" to any topic they can apply it to. And ProtectMarriage.com, the group who placed Prop 8 on the ballot in the first place, say they are about marriage and family. "California's constitutional marriage amendment exists to strengthen society, encourage monogamous and loving marriages and to provide the optimal environment to ensure the well being of children." Well, the well being of my children, and of children from other gay families, are best served if their two
daddies/mommies have the choice to legally marry and then remain so without fear of having their union overturned at a later date. So, isn't it prejudice to exclude these children because their parents are of the same gender?

And please let's not shy away from the phrase "gay agenda" as if it's a bad thing. Because folks, I am clear. There is a gay agenda. It's called equal rights.

***

The pictures of today's entry were taken by Adam Bouska. He and his partner Jeff Parshley have created this silent protest in response to the passage of Prop 8. All his subjects wear white tees and NOH8 tattoos with duct tape covering their mouths. It's a powerful image. Many celebrities have supported the NOH8 campaign and last week our family went in to have our pictures taken. We are very proud to be part of this historic protest, and I'm personally thrilled of the outcome. Be sure to go to the NOH8 website to see more of Adam's compelling work.

***

And in keeping with the political theme... We are voting for the State Assemblyman of the 43rd district tomorrow. In all my years living here I do not recall being inundated with so many political fliers and phone calls. Both Democratic nominees, Mike Gatto and Nayiri Nahabedian are doing all they can to get us to the polls.

In my last blog entry, I relayed an actual conversation as told to me by my husband. A volunteer from Gatto's camp tried to secure his vote. And being the gay Nazi that he is (Michael wouldn't even buy Coors Lite for my cousin last week because of their stance against homosexuals) he asked the volunteer what Mr. Gatto's position was on gay marriage. The poor guy was a bit confused and didn't have the facts at hand, which made my previous entry funny, or at least to me.

However, Mike Gatto didn't think so. Last week, he got wind of my blog and actually called our house!! He apologized for the volunteer's lack of knowledge and said he's been advocating for gay marriage "for years, maybe decades." He then added my blog was the only one that came to mind that was negative and he was "hurt" that my entry put his campaign in a "bad light." And in all sincerity, Mike, I am truly sorry. I was going for humor, not judgement.

The other thing I personally found significant about this election is that Gatto has taken the high road in response to the opposition's smear tactics. And there is nothing that turns me off more than a politician who doesn't stick to her own stance on the issues. Don't you remember what happened to Hillary, Ms. Nahabedian? Shame on you.

I know who I'll be voting for tomorrow.

***

In a bizarre follow up... Nayiri Nahabedian also personally called us!! This happened yesterday. We weren't home and both Gatto's and Nahabedian's messages are now side by side on our answering machine. Not since junior high politics have I felt so popular. "Vote for me and I'll be your best friend." Is this a new trend? Should I expect our gubernatorial nominees to start calling come November? If so, Jerry Brown, use your sultry voice.

Comments

Pale said…
Love the pics. I stumbled you (faccialunababy on stumbleupon.com).

Go, Baby. I LOVE that you got their attention. So. Proud.
Wow! What a strange (and wonderful!) tale of local politics.

Beautiful shots of you and the family.
Vodka Logic said…
Great cause and good luck in your efforts.
Serena said…
I'm totally thinking YOU should run for office. You'd get my vote. ;-)
KatOfDiamonds said…
My favorite post by you yet! <3
Mark said…
I am so digging those pictures. Do me a favor. Mat them, frame them and hang them side by side on your wall. Then take a picture and post it for us all to see. Nice Post. Your Friend, m.
p.s. My Mom doesn't care for the name of your Blog. I thought that you would get a kick out of that. m.
Sharon said…
You are, as always a real insipration on so so many levels.
Sabreena said…
Those are powerful pictures. I think gay couples should have all of the rights heteros enjoy. We heteros haven't really respected the sanctity of marriage all of the opperssors are fighting to protect. I don't understand why people feel it's okay to make laws against things that are none of their business anyway. How does it hurt marriage? The definition of marriage should be a union of two people who are in love and want to try to spend their live together. The sex of each person should not matter. Keep up the good fight because ignorance and intolerance cannot be allowed to win.
The Good Cook said…
I'm with Serena - I think YOU should run for office! I don't live in CA, but if you move to NJ you have my vote.
Our Crazy Life said…
Very nice pictures!!! My kids and grandkids all sent pictures in too and I love them for speaking up in our simple minded community!!
James Sie said…
I love those pix! Wonderful blog, Mr. Hutch.

Popular posts from this blog

Is Facebook Racist?

What's in a Name?

Anyone Have a Spare Bucket of Pig's Blood?